Did you know there is a National Video Games day? Neither did I, but it’s fast approaching on September 12. Since this is the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., Nintendo saw fit to release 10 facts about Mario. If you’re a true Nintendo fan, you probably already know most of these, but let’s find out.
- Mario has appeared in more than 200 video games.
- Super Mario Bros. launched 30 years ago on September 13, 1985.
- In Super Mario Land, Mario has to pilot a submarine and an airplane to save Princess Daisy. Who knew he had his pilot license?
- Nintendo composer Koji Kondo provided the iconic soundtrack to Super Mario Bros.
- Since 1995, the voice of Mario has been provided by American voice actor Charles Martinet. He also voices Mario’s twin brother, Luigi, and nemesis, Wario.
- Mario’s first appearance was in the 1981 Donkey Kong arcade game. And he wasn’t trying to rescue Princess Peach like in Super Mario Bros. It was actually his friend Pauline.
- While the original Super Mario Bros. incorporated classic items like the Super Mushroom and Fire Flower, Super Mario Bros. 3 introduced a host of iconic power-ups for Mario to pick up like the Super Leaf, Tanooki Suit and Goomba’s Shoe. Ever since, creative power-ups and transformations have become a staple of the Super Mario Bros. series.
- Mario was originally known as “Jumpman” in Donkey Kong.
- Mario actually didn’t appear in Donkey Kong 3, but he did make his return to the series in Donkey Kong for Game Boy.
- Some Mario games actually break the space-time continuum by having Mario interact with his younger baby self.
Fascinating stuff, isn’t it? Do you have a favorite Mario memory? What was your first Mario game? Let us know in the comments.